Life before Facebook? Aah the good ol' days. Who am I kidding?? I am obsessed with FB. I learn the latest news events, stay in touch with friends and family, share pictures and events. I'm connected on my phone 24/7 and on the computer during my work day. I'm usually one of the first to like or comment on a status.
This is all great, but I do have to say that I genuinely prefer to communicate with people outside of Facebook. Now don't call me, I hate talking on the phone, but texting is a whole different story. I don't know why but I find texting to be so much more personal than posting something on Facebook. I want to be able to tell someone I miss them or congratulate them on a life event (new baby, marriage, etc) and not have all of our Facebook friends see it. Even a quick "Hey, how are ya?" is so much more personal via text.
One of my biggest pet peeves is finding something out on Facebook that is a pretty big deal. I don't expect every person to text or call me to inform me of life events, but I do expect my close friends and family to. There's nothing worse than logging into Facebook to see "In the ER with (Insert child's name)". Luckily, my close friends are pretty good about this and usually contact me prior to updating Facebook.
One reason I bring this up is because I am always nervous that I haven't reached out enough to people. That I should be trying to communicate more. I've lost two friends in the last two years that I sooo wish I had communicated more with. For that reason, I try to make the time to send a quick "Hey how are ya?" text. The guilt I feel for not having done that more with the two friends I've lost eats at me daily. I know we've all grown up and have busy lives, but I hope people realize how important it is to let people know you think of them and care. You can never have enough love :)
PS If you're someone who doesn't have my number and you'd like to express your thoughts outside of Facebook, feel free to let me know and I'll be sure to get it to you!!!
I agree... :) good thought.
ReplyDelete